Karen A. Smyth, a Partner at the firm, will be on a panel of legal and insurance industry professionals at the 25th Employment Practices Liability Insurance Forum. The theme of this panel discussion is, “Spotlight on Pay Equity: Examining the Rise in Compensation Discrimination Claims and the Impact on EPLI.”
Held on January 26-27, 2017 in New York City, this forum is stacked with top speakers from across the country; attendees include claims professionals, underwriters, risk managers, in-house counsel and outside counsel.
Topics to be discussed by Ms. Smyth and her co-panelists include:
- The recent equal pay movement and an overview of the latest key legislative and regulatory developments that employers should familiarize themselves with to stay ahead of the curve.
- The recent ramped up pay equity laws enacted in New York and California.
- New pay equity rules issued for federal contractors.
- Industries demonstrating the most dramatic wage gaps between men and women.
- Evaluating exposure to claims of compensation discrimination and tips for equal pay compliance.
- The latest claims arising from pay discrimination or “glass ceiling” failure to promote cases.
- How new state laws are making it easier for employees to succeed on pay discrimination claims.
Ms. Smyth regularly provides counsel to clients in their efforts to develop, conduct or enforce compliance programs. These include customizing employee manuals, employment agreements, non-compete agreements, anti-harassment and anti-discrimination policies, internal investigations of reported harassment, discrimination, or retaliation and general HR policies.
Additionally, Ms. Smyth regularly keeps her clients abreast of evolving employment laws, regulations and ordinances governing protected classes and activities, and wage and hour issues. Ms. Smyth represents employers in a variety of claims, both at the administrative level (EEOC/MDCR) as well as civil complaints filed in state and federal courts.
On a national level, Ms. Smyth is routinely invited to participate as a panel speaker on employment law for various national organizations. She also provides internal training to employers, supervisors, and employees about various employment law topics. She is a licensed attorney in Michigan and New York, and admitted to practice in Michigan’s state trial and appellate courts, federal district courts, and Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
About Lipson Neilson
Lipson, Neilson, Cole, Seltzer & Garin, P.C. is an AV rated firm that recently celebrated its 31st anniversary. The firm has offices in Michigan, Nevada and Arizona. The firm is widely known for its employment defense and all other professional liability lines, offering invaluable insight and experience to its clients across all industries. It also provides litigation management services and represents insurers on coverage matters as a local representative. Lipson Neilson is committed to identifying and pursuing the most cost-effective options available for claim resolution. You can learn more at www.lipsonneilson.com.
Contact: Karen Smyth