Ms. Zastrow’s expertise and experience combined with her well-developed business acumen allows her to quickly understand a client’s business and legal matters from their perspective.
Her practice includes matters relating to complex commercial litigation in state and federal court as well as alternative dispute resolution in all areas of business and employment law, with additional emphasis in defending professionals including attorneys, brokers and dentists before licensing boards as well as:
- Malpractice defense in civil litigation
- Routine appearances and representations before the EEOC, NERC, DETR, Nevada Dental Board and other administrative entities
- Business transactions including lease and general contract negotiations.
- General counsel.
- Advising clients in all areas of complex business and professional licensing matters.
- Insurance defense litigation, with special emphasis on professional malpractice, including defense of medical doctors, dentists, attorneys and accountants.
- Premise liability and employment litigation defense.
- Significant experience in other areas including various high profile and confidential business disputes, contract review, labor and employment law and constitutional law.
- Duties include managing clients and independent case load, motion practice, depositions and lead first chair trial counsel.
Joseph Garin and Lisa Zastrow Win Motion to Dismiss Legal Malpractice Suit Against Global Law Firm in U.S. District Court
On March 3, 2021, a Nevada federal judge granted a motion to dismiss a China-based auto dealer’s legal malpractice suit against global law firm DLA Piper. Lipson Neilson’s Joseph Garin and Lisa Zastrow represented DLA Piper in this case.
Mr. Garin and Ms. Zastrow successfully argued that the case should be dismissed because their client is not Nevada-based, and because DLA Piper was hired by an audit committee and that the work never included the law firm directly representing China Auto Logistics, Inc. Therefore, the firm cannot be targeted with a “standard of care” malpractice claim stemming from an attorney-client relationship that never existed.
In a 12-page order dismissing the suit without prejudice, U.S. District Judge Gloria M. Navarro ruled that even though DLA Piper has previously conducted business in Nevada, the plaintiff’s venue argument does not establish the law firm’s physical presence in the state.
The case is China Auto Logistics Inc. vs. DLA Piper LLP, case number 2:20-cv-00646, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada.
Track Record of Success
From acting in an advisory capacity regarding professional liability matters, advising clients in all human resources and employment matters, assisting in litigation avoidance for business owners, to first chairing numerous jury and bench trials, Ms. Zastrow has a track record of success for her business and individual clients.
Specifically, she has conducted as co-counsel, and lead counsel, over twenty-five bench trials and four jury trials, having only lost two bench trials which were each later settled on appeal.
Ms. Zastrow has successfully handled appeals before the Nevada Supreme Court.
As an experienced commercial, professional liability defense, constitutional law and employment lawyer, she routinely represents clients in state and federal court, as well as through all forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Ms. Zastrow routinely acts as outside general counsel for her corporate clients. Among other things, she assists clients in drafting and implementing employment Policies & Procedures, assists employers in various employment investigations, and defends employers before the Nevada Equal Rights Commission (“NERC”), Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation (“DETR”), as well as in state and federal court.
Ms. Zastrow has successful experience in administrative law, including advising and defending licensed Dentists before the Nevada Dental Board, and she successfully represents clients in defense of 42 U.S. Code § 1983 claims.
Trial Practice Highlights
- Gregory Kelly v. LVMPD, et. al., 2:12-cv-02074, US District Court, co-counsel, jury verdict in favor of LVMPD Officers (May 7, 2015).
- Coyote Springs Investment, LLC v. The Eight Judicial District Court of the United States and Brightsource Energy, Inc., 131 Nevada Advance Opinion 18 (April 2, 2015), co-counsel.
- KS Design, LLP v. Via Tivoli, LLC, District Court, Clark County Nevada, Case No. A577436; favorable verdict in a complex construction matter involving a $100,000,000.00 residential home (March, 2013).
- Luxury Suites International, Inc. v. Annie The Maid, District Court, Clark County Nevada, Case No. A566187, jury verdict win regarding a breach of sales and services contract (February, 2012).
- LVI Global, LLC v. Nevada State Board of Dental Examiners, District Court, Clark County Nevada, Case No. A-11-651316 (wherein Lisa obtained an extraordinary Writ of Mandamus against the Nevada Board of Dental Examiners, which was upheld by the Nevada Supreme Court).
- In 2009 and 2010, Ms. Zastrow obtained back to back summary judgments regarding two cases of first impression on behalf of a large casino against two classes of existing and former employees.
- In 2007, Ms. Zastrow was instrumental in obtaining summary judgment in favor of a school district on claims that a teacher’s free speech rights were violated. She also successfully defended a local nightclub through arbitration against a claim by a disk jockey. Additionally, she achieved a favorable settlement mid-jury trial for a plaintiff in a medical malpractice suit in a case involving catastrophic injuries.
- In 2006, Ms. Zastrow and co-counsel obtained a prevailing party ruling before a three-judge arbitration panel for a developer defending against a $12 million construction claim brought by a national contractor.
- Ms. Zastrow has obtained a number of temporary restraining orders on behalf of business clients in state and federal court, ultimately obtaining preliminary and permanent injunctions on matters involving real estate development and proprietary and confidential business information and assets.
- She has participated in countless mediations and routinely appears in state and federal court.